Union announces August roll out for Night Tube

Rail union ASLEF has announced that the Night Tube will launch in August, preempting any future announcements by Transport for London (TfL) about the proposed launch date.

The Rail union’s announcement comes after the recent pay deal struck between ASLEF, RMT, and TfL which has made the Night Tube possible.

The Night Tube was due to be unveiled in September last year, however, it has been delayed while pay negotiations took place as a result of industrial action and disagreement between TfL and rail unions.

In today’s announcement ASLEF the union said: “London Underground’s new Night Tube service is set to be launched in August”.

They continue to explain that TfL “has drawn up plans to roll out the new all-night service line by line. Passengers will be able to travel through the night on Fridays and Saturdays on the Victoria and Jubilee lines in August and then on the Central, Northern and Piccadilly lines in September.”

In order to roll out 24 hours a day services, at least 200 new part-time drivers will be needed. As well as the new part-time staff, the pay deals will also allow for the creation of around 2,000 permanent jobs, potentially boosting the economy by £360 million.

The Night Tube, which already operates for 20 hours a day, is part of London Underground’s work to modernise the service offered to customers. According to TfL, by offering lower frequency services on Friday and Saturday nights, the new services should not cause significant extra disturbance for local residents.

A TfL spokesperson denied ASLEF’s claim, saying “No date has yet been agreed for the launch of the Night Tube, but we are working hard to deliver it for London as quickly as possible”.

Kevin Dunning, London Underground’s Director of Network Services, said: “We want to continue being a good neighbour when we introduce the new Night Tube service and have completed a massive programme of preparatory work, including grinding hundreds of kilometres of rails, to make sure the track is in top condition. We are confident residents will not be disturbed and we will of course continue to talk to anyone who has concerns once the service launches.”

@henrytojones

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s